Twitter and email info

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Book Excerpt #3 (Part II) - "Mukhabarat, Baby!", by Eric Burkhart

Because of the numerous requests I received regarding the end to Excerpt #3 (I was forced to cut it short because of size constraints), I have decided to provide the end to that particular story.  Please pick up the story from the end of yesterday's post:

I don't recall anything about the rest of the day.  I know I had a lot on my mind.  I could not explain how it happened, but during those few, indelicate, precious seconds immediately following the birth, I watched that life announce its presence.  I saw the majestic beauty in human creation, and realized that it made no sense to my analytical brain, that events like this could occur without a divine catalyst.  Certainly Madalyn Murray O'Hair would consider my argument to be weak and emotional.  And that's part of the picture.  This vein of "feelings" that we have, to love and hate, to envy and despise, to adore and to admire.  It is what sets apart from the more nature-reactive living things, including plants and trees.  Something else I realized at about the same time: the need for nature to be appreciated and admired.  This epiphany of sorts was encouraged by my environment.  Africa does nothing in small measure.  The cheer of the yellow marigold and color explosion of the Lilac-Breasted Roller demand to be acknowledged and appreciated.  I speak of the sights and the smells of nature that we learn almost from birth to take for granted.  I would imagine the ideal, "Darwinesque" creature would have accounted for what was necessary, not what was appreciated.  Survival of the fittest, evolving out uselessness and redundancy, doesn't leave much place for sympathy and humor. 

Please don't get me wrong.  I'm not trying to pick a fight with Evolutionists.  I guess its more of a self-defense against Atheists, all of whom seem to be died-in-the-wool Evolutionists.  But this long-winded lecture is not something I'm used to or comfortable giving.  I still have a bucket full of questions to ask, but at least I've been able to check off a few.  We have a creator because we love and we hate, and because we covet and we empathize.  We are gluttons for food, money, sex and material things.  It is what sets us apart.  Its like a thumb print, from him (or her), to remind us of our starting point.  How do I account for all the different religions around the world?  I can't, and I don't have to.  I have studied Hinduism and Islam.  I am fascinated by the idea of reincarnation and I have read the Quran (three times-ouch!).  But where I am is right for me.  And I do not feel the urge or the obligation to proselytize.  It is the most personal of decisions and absolutely none of my business how someone else chooses (or not) to worship.  I still attend Mass every week and do not miss a Holy Day of Obligation.  And I go to Confessional...not nearly enough.  But the decision to show my appreciation to God in the traditional manner in which I was raised is my business.  Its difficult for me to understand how those with no answers whatsoever are so self-righteous in their criticism and activism against Christianity.  No more school plays in December about the birth of Jesus.  No more "Pledge of Allegiance" ("one nation, under God" violates the Constitution).  Just for fun, the next time you get into a discussion about "The Meaning of Life" with an atheist, ask them where do we came from?  I want to know, how did all this start?  There must have been energy...where did it come from?  What or who is the antagonist that put "The Big Bang" in motion?  You see, I can answer that question and they can't, but I'm the idiot....they will have plenty to say about "natural selection" and the fish that chooses (I wonder why?) to leave the water for the land.  The key is, if you have the patience and the stamina, to force them further back, all the way to "The Big Bang".  Then ask them why did it happen and what were the causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment