Twitter and email info

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Join me in my Congressional Campaign as we work for limited government and accountable representation.

After months of serious contemplation, I have decided to run for Congress.  Over the past two years, I've been asked on numerous occasions to consider taking this step, especially by persons who had been present during one of my speaking engagements.  I'm running because I no longer have any faith that Congress functions in the best interests of the people, and I believe I can make a difference.  My opponent, Congressman Lamar Smith, has been representing the 21st Texas District in the U.S. House of Representatives for more than thirty years.  During that time, he has voted in a manner which is reflective of the opinions and interests of his constituents, although he hasn't been the most prolific of legislators.  The most pressing issue regarding Representative Smith is that he chosen to make a career out of holding this seat, and he isn't alone.  Its more than obvious that way too many members of the 115th Congress have prioritized re-election over addressing the people's business.  Simply put, Congress has been dysfunctional for some time, and the major reason we've reached this point is because the Senate and the House of Representatives has become an employment agency, and its a very safe job to have, let me assure you.  The re-election rate for incumbents in the House of Representatives has risen to ninety-one percent, and the number of Congressmen and women who have been in office for more than two decades continues to grow, even though each and every one of these respective legislators is aware that the Founding Fathers intended something different. 

Aside from the issue of perpetual re-election, Congress is crippled by a lack of occupational diversity.  Over fifty percent of Congressmen and women are attorneys, and a disturbing percentage have never truly had a job outside of "government service".  The writers of the Constitution envisioned a House of Representatives that mirrored the people it represented- doctors, teachers, farmers, soldiers, carpenters, designers, nurses, engineers, businessmen and women, law enforcement, etc.  They correctly understood that for a Representative Democracy to function as designed, it truly must stay a Representative Democracy.  A quick review of the roll call in the 115th House of Representatives does not in any way resemble a slice of America today.  Moving back in that direction, by electing officials who understand the value of including more Americans in the legislative process, will go a long way to restoring the people's faith in government.


Before deciding to take on this challenge, I understood the difficulties in running for Federal office.  The rules have become progressively more complicated, and the information requested by the Federal Election Commission is very intrusive.  The real issue, though, is and always seems to be money.  We all seem to agree (at least the folks who I've been meeting on the campaign trail) that money has taken over the political process and "something needs to be done".  I can assure you, the men and women who are already in office, or at least the great majority, have no interest in making the process more accessible to the average person.  Its all about getting re-elected, so if the process discourages people, then why make any changes?  Be that as it may, I must ask for donations or I will not be able to mount a competitive campaign.  Its a given that my opponent will have more resources.  Anyone interested in currying favor will almost always donate to the incumbent. Political Action Committees also tend to support incumbents, as they understand the ninety-six percentile rule and want to keep/increase whatever influence they've already established.  For challengers like myself, we must spend all the more time on the streets, shaking hands, meeting folks, and giving you the chance to tell us your perspective.  I welcome this dynamic in the process, and I look forward to every opportunity to introduce myself and to meet you and your families.

As part of the process, I created an account with the online service "Crowdpac", which provides candidates the opportunity to raise funds online by reaching out to a wider audience.  After my candidacy was announced on Social Media, I received hundreds of emails and messages of support.  I've been writing this blog for over two years, I know people are unhappy and I know the average American is truly frustrated with a system that only seems to represent the fringes of our society.  I've heard you, and because I've established a bit of a presence in the blogosphere and occasionally find myself speaking about current events on Fox News, I've decided to dedicate myself one-hundred percent to returning the People's House to the people.  In order to be successful, I need your support.  I need you to mention me to your friends and family, and I need your vote.  But for those who are able, I also ask you for a donation to my campaign.  I understand that not every person is able to donate to political causes.  The important thing to realize, though, is that EVERY DOLLAR MATTERS.  Crowdpac is just as happy to accept donations of twenty-five dollars as they are two-hundred dollars.  I'm certainly not a typical politician; in fact, I think its fair to say that I'm not necessarily comfortable in these shoes.  But I believe in my message and my campaign, and I believe we can win.  Last year the American people surprised the establishment by choosing a president who intends are ending "business as usual", and ushering an era of new faces and fresh ideas to Washington DC.  I am part of that movement.   

No comments:

Post a Comment